America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within.Josef Stalin
I thought this was an interesting quote. Stalin was a great communist leader. He recognized religion, or spiritual life as one of three pillars that are a vital part of American health. Yet, as an atheist, he thought of it as an "opiate" or a drug that the people craved. He was an atheist. And, as a result, he wished to remove religion from his country. "[His] government promoted atheism through special atheistic education in schools, massive amounts of anti-religious propaganda... discriminatory laws, and also a terror campaign against religious believers." (Wikipedia)
There is a book that echoes the ideals of Stalin. The Naked Communist was written by Cleon Skousen in 1958. It lists some measures to be taken to bring America under communist rule. I find some points of interest in that they are happening or already have happened.
16) Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
25) Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26) Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as "normal, natural, healthy." Skousen claimed Communists sought to encourage the practice of masturbation.
27) Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with "social" religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a "religious crutch."
28) Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of "separation of church and state."
40) Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity, masturbation and easy divorce.
41) Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
Skousen was a devout Mormon. It is easy to jump to the conclusion that his views are biased. Yet, this book seems to echo the ideals of Communism and give us a glimpse into their tactics. It is important to consider how they seem to mirror the words, ideals and tactics of Stalin. Skousen's insight was the reason that Ronald Reagan asked him "to be a charter member of the conservative think tank the Council for National Policy." (Wikipedia)
Numbers 27 and 28 scream common goals with Atheists. Perhaps this is largely because Stalin was an Atheist. But, it is important to not that not all atheist want communism to flourish.
But it makes me wonder:
"How many would settle with it if it means completely removing religion from the face of the earth?"
"How important is it that our First Amendment (not second or later) is about Religious Freedom?"
"Does anyone see the parallels with the ACLU's history? Or is it just me?"