January 14, 2011

The Free Entrecard Experiment 2.0

Free Entrecard Ad
For a limited time.
Ok. I have learned one thing about Entrecard... it only did two things for me. It increased traffic and introduced me to but a handful of fellow bloggers. But, not one of Entrecard's "droppers" took advantage of my previous experiment. Not one single dropper.

I did get a couple of emails asking me about the experiment. They were not current Entrecard members. A big thank you goes out to those people. It is because of you that I know that my posts are read. More about Entrecard at the bottom of this post For now, here are the experiment details.. 

I have thought things over. I have made it easier. All you have to do is leave a comment with a link to your blog. It is almost that simple.

I will send you the credits that you spent back through your Entrecard widget. Make sure your Entrecard widget easy to find so that I can give you back your credits. 

There is no limit to how many times you can do this, except for those enforced by Entrecard. Do this as many times as you are able. But please leave a new comment each time.

I may change any details listed in this post, comments and on this blog, but will most likely keep it this way. I will keep this open until Midnight on April 30, 2011.

Now, About Entrecard...

It's time for me to rant about what I have experienced. The top "reason to join" is to increase traffic.
By installing the Entrecard business card 2.0 to your site, your web traffic will grow instantly. It really is truly amazing how Entrecard works. 
Well, it does just that. It works as advertised. If that is your goal, then it is 100% what you want. But, It is not all I want.  Entrecard consumed much of my time. I would spend two or three hours a day doing my daily drops. I quickly rose close to the top of my group. It seemed great at first. But, in that time I didn't stop to read a single post unless it had something to catch my eye. Additionally, I was spending so much time dropping, that I had no time left to write for my own blog.

And then it occurred to me... if I wasn't paying much attention to other blogs, why would others who did the same read my posts? 

If you use Google's Adsense, it gets worse. It has a drastic effect on your Clickthrough Rate. It is simple math. According to Google:
Clickthrough rate (CTR) is the number of clicks your ad receives divided by the number of times your ad is shown (impressions).
If you have 3 ads clicked with only 10 impressions, that is a 30% CTR. (3/10 = 0.30 = 30%)


Now, let's see what happens when we increase our impressions by generating "traffic." If we have the same 3 ad clicks with 20 impressions, the CTR drops to 15% (3/20 = 0.15 = 15%)


Let's even the score. If we have 6 ad clicks with 20 ad impressions, our CTR is back to 30%. (6/20 = 0.30 = 30%)


If you increase your traffic, your traffic must increase ad clicks by the same factor just to earn the same rate. For example, increase your traffic by a factor of 2 (double) your traffic's ad clicks must increase by a factor of 2 (double) just to earn the same. If your traffic does not click more, you lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment