December 17, 2010

My Entrecard Experiment

Image representing Entrecard as depicted in Cr... Image via CrunchBase
I have lost my faith in Entrecard. It took countless hours to do my daily drops. And for what? It promised to increase traffic to my blog. And it did. But I wanted something more than traffic… I wanted readers. Readers who not only read what I wrote, but appreciated it and maybe left a comment or two. But all I got was traffic. All I was doing was drive-by dropping on other blogs, spending at least two hours a day doing this. With work and my family, it left me no time to do what I set out in the first place – to write blog posts. So, I gave up doing my daily drops.
I took some time off… lots of time to reflect on my blog… to reflect on readers… to reflect on traffic and traffic generating site, like Entrecard. After some time and thought, I had an idea… Well, it is an experiment… and here it is… I am giving away a free ad slot through Entrecard. I ask you do some simple things for me… Write a blog post for your own blog and comment on mine.
  1. Write about my blog. Maybe you can tell people something about this give-away. Or you can write a review about this blog. Maybe just a quick paragraph to show that you saw my blog. What you write about is up to you. Be creative. Be thoughtful.  Be respectful.
  2. Include a link to my blog. It may be to this post. It may be to http://oscargecko.blogspot.com .
  3. Write a comment to this very post. Include a link to what you wrote. I use IntenseDebate to moderate my comments and it is CommentLuv enabled. You can use CommentLuv to put your link I would love a comment saying a bit more than, “Yeah, I did it.” But, it is not necessary. It is OK to tell me “Merry Christmas.”
  4. Make sure your Entrecard ad/widget is visible and easy to find. It is supposed to be “above the fold,” but I do not require that of yours. All I ask is that it is easy to find so that I can give you back your credits that you spent. After I find it, I will send you your credits that you spent back through Entrecard. Next, I will post a reply to your comment so that we both can keep track of the details.
  5. There is no limit to how many times you can do this, except for those enforced by Entrecard. Do this as many times as you like. It would be nice if you wrote a new post every time, but hey, I understand if you have more important things to write about than me.
  6. I can change any details listed in this post, comments and on this blog as I see the need. For this experiment, I will continue this until the end of this year – until Midnight, when the ball drops on December 31, 2010.
The neat thing is, you have control. You get to write for your own blog. You get a link back to your blog. You get a free ad.
I am excited about this experiment. Who knows what will happen. And, maybe I can finally get some use out of Entrecard. Maybe. Here is hoping.
Enhanced by Zemanta