October 15, 2009

Avoiding My Computer Disaster

Toshiba HDD2189 2.5" hard disk drive plat...

Image via Wikipedia

My Danger Ahead

My computer has recently started acting funny. It would randomly take more time than normal to do average tasks such as opening a program. Programs would also stop working causing it to freeze and require rebooting in some cases.

I started getting a pop-up window notifying me of computer hard drive failures. It has been a good laptop. It has taken it’s fair share of abuse. I cannot count the number of times it fell to the floor. Thinking back, I am surprised that it lasted as long as it did.

But here lies my problem. With the cost of a new drive, and the cost of the other repairs needed, it is not worth fixing. Prices are at a low with the expectation of the new version of MS Windows coming out. So, I found a deal on a new laptop.

Now, I could simply transfer the files over with my computer skills. That would be a breeze for me. But, what if my hard drive was already dead? What would I do? How would I then get my files back?

My Disaster Recover Plan

Most business should have a Disaster Recover Plan. This plan is a simple outline, guideline or procedure for fixing or replacing computer failures. It can be complex for large businesses or simple for small ones.

I am not a business, but just an average guy with a blog. I have a simple Disaster Recovery Plan.